disorder of the personality characterized by abnormal love of self, being
self absorbed, and an inability to empathise with the effects of ones
behaviour on others.
incidence and risk factors.
cause of this disorder is unknown, but one theory suggests that the
parents of people who develop this disorder needed their children to be
talented or special in order to maintain their own self esteem. This
disorder usually begins in early adulthood. Narcissistic people are unable
to perceive themselves and others accurately. They often feel entitled to
special treatment and can become demanding, angry and easily offended.
Reacts to criticism with feelings of rage, shame and humiliation
• Takes advantage of others to reach own goals
• Self important
• Exaggerates achievements and talents
• Preoccupation with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence
or ideal love
• Unreasonable expectations of favourable treatment
• Requires constant attention and admiration
• Lacks empathy